Fast, easy and delicious is my motto. Here’s a fast easy brownie recipe which I brought to a recent JaxRaw Potluck. If you have enough ingredients you can double this recipe and have brownies for a week… depending on how many people know about them. With any raw food recipe I always soak and dehydrate the nuts and seeds I’m using first. I do this for 2 reason. First, you want to germinate the seeds. This deactivates enzyme inhibitors that prevent the seeds from sprouting prematurely. Soaking also breaks down some of the protein into simple amino acids. This is ideal for digestion and assimilation. The second reason for soaking nuts and seeds is to clean them. Check out this earlier post and video that highlights how dirty nuts and seeds can be. Use food grade hydrogen peroxide of grapefruit seed extract to sterilize the nuts and seeds you plan on soaking. If you don’t have either, rinsing and soaking is better than nothing. Here’s the recipe…
1 1/2 C walnuts
1 C almonds
1/4 C cacao powder
1/4 C mesquite
1/4 C lucuma
1/4 C palm sugar
1/4 C goji berries
2 T C maca
1 T ground chia – optional
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
2-3 T agave
- Combine dry ingredients in the food processor.
- Pour in agave until mixture begins to bind.
- Check consistency by squeezing mixture into a ball. If it forms easily it’s ready, if it crumbles add more agave.
- Press mixture into a spring form or casserole dish. You can grease the pan with coconut or macadamia oil.
- Place dish in the freezer to set for 1/2 hour.
- Dust the brownies with cacao or maca and cut into squares.
For those of you in Jacksonville… come out and attend an inspiring and informative free event. Here are the details:
- Who: Suzy Hoseus
- What: Free Talk on naturally healing bipolar and depression
- When: Saturday, January 29th, 2011 From 3:00 – 5:00pm
- Where: Pablo Creek Library, 13295 Beach Boulevard Jacksonville, FL 32246-7259
- Contact: 859-230-3000